Dallas Soccer DFW

Rain, lightning suspend area playoff matchups

Published 3/31/2007 3:13:01 PM by Staff from FW Star Telegram

Heavy rain and lightning forced Arlington Lamar's Class 5A Region I area-round girls soccer game against Lewisville Hebron to be suspended after the first half Friday at the Birdville Fine Arts/Athletic Center.

The Arlington Martin boys and Euless Trinity girls also had soccer playoff games halted by the weather.

Lamar (13-8-1) is set to resume its game at the start of the second half at 1 p.m. today at Pennington Field. The girls game between Southlake Carroll (17-2-4) and Duncanville (20-1-1) which was scheduled to be played after Lamar's game, was rescheduled to 11 a.m. today at Pennington Field.

Lamar's defense helped keep the game tied at 1-1 at halftime against a speedy Hebron team.

"I'm glad we got a half in," Lamar coach Kay Giocondo said. "I wish we could have got all the way through it, but I was real pleased with our efforts in the first half. I hope we can continue it [today]. They're in the same boat that we are."

Hebron (20-2-1) just missed scoring early when a corner kick hit the goal's crossbar less than 10 minutes into the game.

Sophomore midfielder Sara Williams got Hebron on the board with 30:07 left in the first half when her 15-yard shot got past Lamar goaltender Megan Gaines to make it 1-0.

The Lady Vikings tied it 1-1 on a free kick by sophomore Brittany Kemper from just outside the box less than three minutes later.

Martin boys

Martin's boys were inconsistent at times during district play this season, but on Friday, the Warriors led Hebron 1-0 at Dragon Stadium in Southlake by playing one of their finest matches of the season until lightning interrupted play 1:36 into the second half.

The Warriors (12-4-6) are to resume play with 38:24 left at 1 p.m. today in the Class 5A Region I area-round playoff at Dragon Stadium.

A girls match between Martin (16-2-4) and Grapevine (13-4-7) was to follow the boys match, but instead will be at 2 p.m. at Dragon Stadium.

Martin dictated play from the outset and opened the scoring on the Warriors' fourth corner kick of the first half. Warriors senior defender Chima Onyebuchi converted the corner kick in the 15th minute.

Defensively, the Warriors contained the Hebron offense, which keyed a 5-2 bi-district victory against Carroll.

Marcus girls

The Flower Mound Marcus Lady Marauders used an attacking offense and jumped out on Trinity, taking a 2-0 lead before the Class 5A Region I area-round match was suspended because of lightning.

The game is set to resume at 3 p.m. today at Pennington Field, with 33:19 remaining in the second half.

The boys area playoff match between Arlington (12-9-1) and Marcus (24-0), which was to follow the Marcus-Trinity girls game, is set for 4:30 p.m. today at Pennington Field.

Marcus, the 2005 Class 5A champion, needed less than five minutes to take the lead against Trinity.

The Lady Marauders (21-1-3) missed a scoring chance on a free kick, but quickly regained control as senior Alisha Ortiz dribbled past two defenders on the left side. When she reached the penalty box, she shot low to the near post, putting the ball under a diving goalkeeper for the 1-0 lead.

Trinity (11-6-3) had few scoring chances, missing on a free kick from 35 yards and having its lone corner kick cleared by Marcus' defense.

The Lady Marauders got their second goal six minutes into the second half. Ortiz came in from the right and passed the ball back, where Madison Whitehead took a shot that went just inside the far post at the 33:41 mark.

Just after Trinity's kickoff, a lightning bolt flashed in the distance, play was stopped, and the game was suspended following a 47-minute delay.

Staff writers Tobias Xavier Lopez and Angel H. Verdejo, and correspondent Kelly Morris contributed to this report.

In the know

Where they left off

Three area games were stopped Friday at halftime or early in the second half:


Martin led Hebron, 1-0 less than 2 minutes into the second half.


Lamar was tied with Hebron, 1-1 at halftime.

Trinity trailed Marcus 2-0 about 6 minutes into the second half.
© www.SoccerDFW.com 2020