Dallas Soccer DFW

Marcus boys win thriller over Southlake 4-3

Published 4/12/2013 10:12:59 PM by staff from dallas

The opening game of the Class 5A Region I boys soccer championships was a true clash of titans as Southlake faced off against Flower Mound Marcus.  The game definitely lived up to the billing as both teams battled in a match that was not decided until the final seconds or regulation.

Marcus came out firing and before Southlake even knew it they were behind 2-0.  The first goal came inside of three minutes as a long diagonal ball broke Ryan Bigbie in behind the Southlake defense where he calmly slotted past Southlake keeper into the backpost sidenetting.

The second goal came just as fast as Alex Totilo curled in a perfect freekick that found Tyler Mouton on a near post run for the header.  Seven minutes and it was 2-0 Marcus.

At the 20 minute mark Southlake struck from about the only consistent way they have generated offense all year.  A set piece.  A long throw in was misjudged by Marcus keeper Colin Hall.  It flew over his head and deflected off Jack Fuller and into the net.  Marcus surely knew how good Southlake was on the long throws yet they spent long stretches of the first half yielding defensive throwins to Southlake.  They were clearly on the back foot as they were forced to defend long throw after long throw. The game had completely flipped and it was due to the Southlake pressure forcing Marcus into giveaways and mistakes.

Marcus survived the onslaught though and in the 38th minute Marcus made it 3-1 on a wonderful goal from Victor Villareal who chipped a perfect ball over the Southlake keeper and into the net from 15 yards out.  Marcus headed to the break with what seemed a comfortable 3-1 lead.

The second half opened quietly as it was obvious Marcus was intent on slowing the game down and not letting Southlake stir them up.  The plan went out the window in the 53rd and it was once again a long Southlake throw in.   As the ball flew into the area the referee spotted and called a push on the Marcus keeper awarding a soft penalty to the Dragons.  Tommy Price fired home the spotkick and it was game on.

Just minutes later Marcus had a penalty kick of their own as Michael Friedman cut down Haiden Stiles at the egde of the area.  Alex Totilo squeezed the kick past Turner Roberts and Marcus once again had a two goal lead.

Southlake would not go quietly though and once again it was off a throw in.  Not sure how Marcus had so much success this year being so poor defending restarts.  This time Southlake threw the ball back to defender Tanner Brennan who launched a cross to the backpost finding Jack Fuller who headed back across goal.  Jake Brabham raced in and tapped into the empty net.  Game on once again with 13 minutes to play and Marcus holding onto a slim 4-3 advantage.

With six minutes to play it looked like Southlake would surely tie the game up as another long Tanner Brennan cross fell perfectly to the feet of Jack Fuller, but the crowd groaned as Fuller blazed his volley just inches over the crossbar.  That left only the final minute and Southlake would create one last glorious chance.  With under ten seconds to play a through ball sent Fuller racing in on goal, but Colin Hall raced out and made the game saving finger-tip save as time ran out.

A wonderful finish to a truly entertaining match.  Marcus 4 Southlake 3
Flower Mound Marcus advances to face district rivals Coppell in the title game Saturday.
© www.SoccerDFW.com 2020