Dallas Soccer DFW

Univ. of Dallas upsets #2 Trinity on late Andrew Ciancone strike

Published 9/18/2015 5:41:01 PM by staff from Irving

Trinity arrived in Irving Friday afternoon with a perfect 5-0 record and a #2 national ranking.  They left in a much fouler mood after a late Andrew Ciancone strike broke a scoreless tie giving the University of Dallas mens soccer team a shock 1-0 upset victory in SCAC play.

The visitors opened on the front foot and put Dallas under immediate pressure.  Derrick Horvath had a pair of early chances for Trinity as he met a low cross with a good near post run. Unfortunately his finish was not as good as the run and his shot hit side netting. In the 13th Horvath with another good chance as he spun his defender and found himself 1v1 with the UD keeper.  Tino Gamueda rushed out and closed Horvath down before he could slit the ball home.

Several calls against Trinity allowed Dallas to slow the game down a bit, breaking the flow of the visitors attack.  In the 28th minute one of the Trinity fouls led to the first shot of the match for UofD as Colton Allen whizzed a free kick just over the crossbar.

At the other end Trinity would turn a set piece into their best chance of the opening half when a forty yard free kick found Kellen Reid all alone in front of goal. His glancing header went straight to UD keeper Tino Gamueda and the game would go scoreless to the break.

The University of Dallas back five held strong for the first half.  They allowed Trinity to boss the wide areas and central midfield, but when it came to the decisive moment in the Trinity attack the UofD defense made the needed interventions.  Would they be able to hold off highly ranked Trinity for another half?

The second half started much more evenly as Trinity left a few of their starters on the bench to open. It was evident as the University of Dallas were getting the better of the early attacks.

Trinity would get their first shot of the second half in the 56th minute as they earned a free kick 35 yards from the Dallas goal.  Tom Carwile hit a rope but it went straight into the chest of Trinity keeper Gamueda.  Right after, Carwile challenged for a long punt and collided heads with teammate Daylon Girgon.  Carwile immediately went to ground with a gash that was bleeding heavily causing a long stoppage in the match.  Chris Madden slid back into the center back position as Carwile and Gorgon were forced from the game.

Gorgon was able to return minutes later, but Madden was forced out with a foot injury after Ben Mannings challenged a clearance by exposing the bottom of his boot which Madden painfully kicked.  Laurence Wyke became the third Trinity player of the half to man that center back spot.

With 18 minutes to play Trinity narrowly missed taking the lead as Wyke curled in a nice free kick from the left side forcing Gamueda to palm it away before it was cleared to safety.  Then in the 81st minute lightning would strike for the University of Dallas.  Andrew Ciancone picked up a ball twenty five yards out and unleashed a laser that beat Trinity keeper Chad Margotta high into the net.  Suddenly Dallas had a shock lead with only minutes to play.

Trinity set about trying to find the equalizer and Todd Edwards curled a corner kick off the crossbar.  Six minutes left to play.   Another Wyke free kick narrowly missed in the 89th as the ball curled inches outside the right post.  That would be the final chance of the afternoon as the University of Dallas pulled the huge upset handing Trinity their first loss of the year.
© www.SoccerDFW.com 2020